NO matter what stage of the most cancers journey you might be on, our message is straightforward: you aren’t alone.
So says Grainne Prendergast, West Cork group most cancers help nurse who runs Cork Arc Bantry.
The home gives a protected confidential area for most cancers sufferers and their households to go to once they want help on their most cancers journey and the providers they provide contains info, counselling and complementary therapies.
They’re all offered by a staff of oncology nurses and skilled volunteers and they’re all free cost.
Grainne has over 20 years nursing expertise working in oncology and palliative care in each the acute and group settings, and he or she desires folks to know that their doorways at Goureebeg, close to Bantry are very a lot vast open as soon as once more.
‘I imagine in supporting, advocating and empowering most cancers sufferers and their households all through all of the phases of their most cancers journey,’ she stated.
‘Cork Arc was established in 2001. In April 2015, we opened Cork Arc Bantry, via which we now have introduced our providers to the folks of West Cork. Because the begin of the yr we now have supported 172 folks.The folks of West Cork should journey lengthy distances for most cancers therapy. It will be important that they’ve the help providers that they and their households want regionally, to keep away from one other lengthy journey.’
Grainne and her staff at the moment are safely welcoming again most cancers sufferers and their households Tuesdays and Thursdays for in-house appointments.
‘We now have additionally developed a spread of latest distant providers all through the Covid pandemic the place folks can entry help from the consolation and security of their very own properties,’ she stated.
A consumer summed the area up completely when she stated: ‘The minute I walked within the door of Cork Arc Bantry, I felt a peace come over me, the home gave me a spot the place I might really feel supported and protected.’
• Sensible info: webinars that are recorded on their web site; wig providers and counselling.
• Rest and meditation: ‘An Hour of Calm’ on-line takes place every Monday night at 9.30pm and Wednesday morning at 11.30 am. It’s a gaggle session, led by skilled facilitators providing strategies of progressive leisure, breath work, meditation, visualisation and mindfulness.
•Survivorship teams: a ‘thrive and survive programme’ gives a way of confidence and an opportunity to study self-management abilities when shifting on out of your most cancers therapy.
• Train teams: strolling, yoga and ‘Stroll with Us’, which is a strolling group accessible to anybody affected by most cancers. It caters for all talents and strolling tempo.
• Complementary therapies: the purpose is to offer therapies that complement the medical mannequin and cling to finest follow, to make a distinction to the lives of these affected by most cancers.
• Bereavement info and help: group and one- on-one help.
• Assist for family members, pals, family members: A six-week self compassion programme for family members and pals of these with most cancers.
• Assist for youngsters whose mother and father have most cancers: Climb (youngsters’s lives embrace moments of bravery) is a six week programme designed to help youngsters between the ages of six-11 whose mother and father or a major different grownup have a most cancers analysis. The purpose of the programme is to construct a baby’s strengths and to reinforce their talents to deal with their emotions when most cancers occurs to their mother or dad. By way of enjoyable, artwork and play, youngsters study most cancers, categorical their emotions about it and make new pals.
• Assist for these with superior most cancers: Cork Arc gives a mindfulness based mostly stress discount programme for these dwelling with metastatic most cancers, offering them with the help wanted whereas coping with therapy, fatigue and ache.
Grainne added: ‘We now have had nice help from our pals within the Bantry Hospice, Most cancers Join and the broader group.
‘We might additionally all the time ask that individuals may make room for Arc of their lives and help most cancers sufferers in West Cork’.
• For extra info contact Cork Arc Bantry on 027 53891 or 083 198 8580; e mail [email protected], or drop in by appointment to ‘The Bungalow’, Goureebeg close to Bantry (P75 PK25).