Do you know candy potatoes are the state vegetable of NC? Candy potatoes are a beautiful vegetable that’s out there all yr lengthy, making them very reasonably priced. Right here’s a wholesome technique to benefit from the traditional candy potato casserole and a spin on simply consuming common baked candy potatoes. That is certainly one of our recipes from MedInsteadofMeds.com
Serving Measurement: ½ of pan
Prep time: 20 minutes
Prepare dinner time: 20-25 minutes
Complete time: 40-45 minutes
• 4 medium candy potatoes (about 1 pound)*
• ½ cup (or 4oz) unsweetened apple sauce
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
• ½ cup fast oats
• ½ cup chopped pecans (optionally available)
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons floor cinnamon
• 1 ½ tablespoon canola oil
1. Pierce clear candy potatoes with a fork and place in a microwave-safe dish.
2. Microwave on excessive for 15-18 minutes, or till tender. Flip candy potatoes midway by means of.
3. Preheat oven to 350 levels.
4. Take away candy potatoes from microwave and punctiliously lower lengthwise; it will assist to chill them quicker.
5. As soon as the candy potatoes are in a position to be held, maintain every half and scoop the insides right into a mixing bowl, discarding the skins.
6. Use a potato masher, hand beaters, or a meals processor to additional mash candy potatoes.
7. To the candy potatoes, add apple sauce, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to mix.
8. Pour combination right into a 9-inch sq. baking dish.
9. In a small bowl, combine collectively fast oats, pecans (optionally available), brown sugar, cinnamon, and canola oil.
10. Sprinkle oat combination evenly on high of the candy potato combination.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
12. Take away pan from oven and permit to face for five minutes. Reduce into 9 items.
*Notes: Canned candy potatoes: Rinse and drain a 40-oz can of lower candy potatoes (about 1 pound of candy potatoes will stay after discarding the liquid.)
Diet Info per Serving
• Serving Measurement: 1/9 of pan
• Energy: 150
• Carbohydrates: 20 grams
• Fiber: 3 grams
• Protein: 2 grams
• Fats: 7 grams
• Sodium: 25 mg
Sydney Johnson Knowles is an Space Household & Client Sciences Extension Agent, with the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service. She could be reached by calling the Sampson County Heart at 910-592-7161.